Thursday, January 8, 2009

Stop and smell the roses

I am sure that most of you know, We lost my dad today. Wow what a trooper. It has been almost 9 years since his first stroke. It has seemed like for ever ago, but now looking back it seems like yesterday we were all at the hospital sitting waiting for a doctor to come and john cussing yes cussing because he wanted to go home. When he made up his mind that was how it was and he was only a little on the STUBBORN side, and he was stubborn up to the last breathe. He fought hard and long, but his body was in rough shape. It was quiet and peaceful and I wouldn't have had it any other way. With mom by his side. She was there every step of the way. But the hardest part of this has been explaining to a 5 year old where grandpa john was going and what was going to happen. I talked to him about how he would meet his dad again. Then I told him how john was going to get to be back in his healthy body and run and jump, and be able to kick a little butt if someone needed it. So Porter asked me " When will John be back from getting his new body from Jesus?" UH UH UH

Tonight I pulled out the scrapbook and started looking. Yes and started crying again and porter said mom you thinking about John again..... UH UH YEP

SO then I turned to a page that had all the little cards that come when you get flowers sent to you. Every year on my birthday I hurried home and did not plan to leave until my flowers from my dad made it. There were about 8 years of cards all saying " I love you , From Dad" , or I love you Dolly ( that is what he called Jami and I). Wow those were real tear jerkers right now.

Then as we are looking through the scrapbook porter says " Mom maybe Jesus will send us a picture of him and grandpa john". UH UH OH PLEASE DO..

So then the tears are pouring and he says Just wipe your tears on my shirt it will make you feel better. Young faith and innocence. At moms house today the kids were running around and said let's go check on grandpa John. They also talked to each other about how they all ready miss him. After they had taken John from his home of more than 30 years, I just felt empty. He has struggled the last few years and not really been to involved with us, but I always knew he was there. But he is not longer there. I know he has moved onto a bigger and better place and he is with his father. But I miss him. I knew it was coming and thought I was ready. But I wasn't. So if you are still reading this please call your dad and let him know you love him and what he really means to you. I would give anything to sit out on our swing again and shoot the brease with mine.

10 comments:

Jami said...

love you sis

The Quarnbergs said...

You know I just keep wondering what kind of mischief Grandpa Dean and Uncle John are up there causing by now and wondering if Heavenly Father is rethinking taking John so early! Those two are up to no good up there you know :) :) :) :) :) In a way I wish I could see what was going on in Heaven & the reunion between those two!!! I am sure that it was a sweet moment in time! I had a hard time explaining to Tai what was going on and where Uncle John was now- that is so true, innosence! But we love you and your family so much and are with you guys every step of the way! Keep smiling, that is what John would have wanted, and a couple jokes here and there just to keep that smile in place!! :) :) :) :)

Vanessa said...

I am thinking about you during this time! Hang in there. And I did just call my dad. Thanks for the reminder of the moments we take for granted.

Colby Alexander said...

Jodi,
I can't stop crying! Me and my dad are so close, we are best friends!
I so fill for you and your family! You are such a great person! love you, hang in there!!

Loveless Family said...

Jodi
Girl I'm so sorry for your loss. We are thinking of you and you are in our prayers. It stinks when you lose someone so close, you don't think life will ever be normal again. But believe it or not life is still good! You miss them like crazy, and I don't know what someone would do without the gospel. It is a great comfort. We are thinking of you! Sheri also says hi and she is also praying for you!

wileywoman said...

Hey Jodi,
I'll miss your dad! Take care and hold on to those crazy memories. I really regret the fact that my husband never really got to know him.
love to all you Wickers,
Karen

Blake and La-Shana Francom said...

Oh the innocence and faith your son has is beautiful! It makes your faith and testimony stronger just hearing the sweetness that children bring from hearing theres. Geez reading your blog made me cry! I wish the best for you and your family. You are all in my prayers!

Jill said...

Jodi
Sorry for your loss. You have such an amazing family. Thank goodness for sweet children to keep our lives in perspective. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Candi and kids said...

Kids are so resilient I remember when Jake was in his casket we were all bawling and all his neices and nephews wanted to see him up close and touch him and steal his hat one more time. Kids bounce back very well. They will all probably do some funny things at the viewing and funeral. They are things that we will never forget and we laugh at often when we think about the funeral.

Johnsons said...

Jodi, I hope you don't mind, but I read your blog from time to time off of Candi's. I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep your family in my prayers. Hang in there. Amy